2 years ago today, I launched Blue Cliff Media.
I launched the business after reading the 7 Day Startup.
Oh my WORD. What a journey.
I’ve gone from having to work in a call centre to pay the bills, to working with some dream clients. It’s been a journey of ups and downs. One that’ll have many more I’m sure. Here’s a few things I’ve learned over the last couple of years:
1. Time is your most valuable asset — protect it
2. Actively disqualify prospects — only let the best through
3. Hire people to do the things you can’t
4. If you’re not making money it’s a hobby
5. Find the right mentor
6. At the beginning say yes to everything
7. Start saying no more 😉
8. Make it unbelievably easy for people to buy from you
9. Create video
10. Learn the art of communication
11. Audit yourself and your skills — go all in on strengths & be wary of weaknesses
12. Have a huge goal you’re working towards
13. Go with your gut
14. Do what makes you happy
15. Health is always #1
16. You’re gonna have to work harder than you thought
17. Your todo list never ends
18. Invest in yourself
19. Bad clients suck
20. Put your prices up
21. Get rid of poisonous people and relationships ASAP
22. Content distribution is arguably more important than creation
23. Facebook ads can be a total pain in the ass, haha
24. Don’t complain. Nobody cares.
26. Ensure all your files are backed up to the cloud
27. Audit expenses frequently — cull the ones that aren’t required
28. If you don’t work well from home — get an office or work elsewhere
29. Charge upfront
30. Just because a business is well known doesn’t mean they’ll pay
31. Productise your offering as best as possible
32. Be confident in who you CAN’T help
33. Be more human in your marketing
34. Hang out with people better than you
35. Be patient
36. Most people won’t ‘get it’
37. You need to love what you do
I can’t wait to see what the next 2 years bring! What’s the number 1 lesson you’ve learned since you launched your business?